Thursday, January 25, 2007

about boys

Did you miss me? And would you tell?
And if told you didn't know me well
Would you contradict, demur?
And convince them, certain – sure
That all the time together we spend
Has made me now your new best friend?

Or then again, are you aware
Of just how much I really care?
And is all this flattering attention
Just some thoughtful condescension?
Designed to keep this annoying slave
Off your back, get her to behave
With something approaching decorum
By treating her she's just a chum?

Oh, can't you see it's a mistake to
Talk to me as you would talk to
Any of your masculine friends?
It misses the point that it intends

By making me feel like I'm someone
Smart and charming and witty and fun
You make me think of just exactly how
much your company means to me now
You have me thinking friendship isn't hard
You got me letting down my guard

You are my easiest conversation
Antidote to my isolation

When I'm with you I can be truly
Me, and I don't worry unduly,
I don't panic, don't lose my head
Over something someone did or said

When I'm with you, there's only you
And me, in all the world just two
The two of us, then all the rest
Hmmm. I fear that I'm obsessed

I know I cannot help the way
I feel about you; and if I say
You make my day, my month, my year
I know you'll leave me standing here
Choking in a cloud of dust
As you run away, oh unjust!
Is it that wrong to show affection
My appreciation of this connection

I can feel you falling away from me
Biti by bit, slow, inexorably
And all the things you could have said
I had to say instead because you didn't
Pick up the pieces and fix my head
Because this time you couldn't, or wouldn't

Because I thought, with all that pain
that I really would have preferred
A comforting lie, excuse inane
Than wait for explanations never heard?

So all those things I told myself
Reached up, put the pain away on a shelf

One last thing, and then I'll go
One final thing that needed to be said
I loved you; and if you didn't know
You must have been blind, and deaf, and dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Beautiful